Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Conferring Record Labels

Today was day 2 at the Literacy Institute and I took the workshop on Conferring.  Great stuff!  When I first started Writing Workshop I was conferring as much as I could.  As the our focus got redirected over the years on other demands I did less and less conferring.  That's why I was really looking forward to this workshop - I really needed some help with management and guidance regarding conferring with my students.

Yesterday I created a weekly form to record the times you confer with students.  Today I saw a different way some teachers organize this.  Instead of a recording sheet, they set up a folder where each student gets a section.  (Some laminate sheets of construction paper for each student.)  Then they carry around a sheet of labels to write their notes on.  At the end of the day they peel the labels off and stick them in the folder in the student's section.

I think I might like this way better so I can keep all the student's conference records in the same place.  I guess I'll have to try them out to see what will work best for me.

I've taken the Weekly Conferring Records and placed them in a label format.  This sheet is set up for the Avery US Letter Format template 8460 for labels 1" x 2.63"

Click on the preview below to download the labels.

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I wanted to try this year for records. Question...why did the teachers laminate construction paper? What is the benefit/purpose? I'd love to know. Thanks!
    First Grade Frame of Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. I am attending the GCPS Summer Literacy Institute as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @meesabelle - I wondered the same but didn't ask. I assume it's to fortify the construction paper to make it last longer. I'm not sure if you are able to peel labels off afterwards. Some teachers combine Reading and Writing Conferring notes but color coding the construction paper (1 color Reading and the other for Writing). I think I might just use the classic dividers and just add additional sheets to student sections as needed.

    @Charlotte - What a small world! Hope you're also getting a lot out of the Institute too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...