Saturday, August 27, 2011

Next up: Vowels

The upcoming skill we are working on in my grade level is long and short vowels.  Have you hit this one already?  If you have, I've got something as a review for you.  If you haven't, I've got a great center for you!

Over the past few years I've been getting more and more twins or siblings split between my class and my friends' classes.  I think I've had siblings who have been twins or born within a year of each other for the past 3 or 4 years!  I thought that this would be the start of a cute center for vowels.

In my new center ("Safari Elementary: Long and Short Vowels) students are going to separate twins into 2 different classrooms based upon their names!  Mr. Long (rhino) is the teacher of the long vowel twins because "rhino" has long vowels.  I wanted to use a giraffe because of the long neck but thought it might confuse them because giraffe doesn't have a long vowel sound.  Mrs. Short (elephant) is the teacher  of the short vowels because "elephant" has short vowels!  After sorting the twins students will make class rosters for each classroom to turn in to you.  I've included extra animal cards without names so you can add your own names.  (Maybe names of students from the class.)  I've also included an extension to the activity for more a more precise formative assessment.

I hope you enjoy!  Click on the preview to snag it from TpT.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...