Monday, December 19, 2011

Parent Winter Gift Addendum . . .

One thing that I meant to mention when I posted about the Winter gifts we made for the parents is this:
as teachers we see a lot.  We see a lot of good parenting and poor parenting, and we focus on the effect is has on the kids.  I think sometimes we forget that we are also in a position where we can help not just our students but their parents as well.  There's so much more behind the scenes that we don't realize and sometimes we need to remember to try to minister to the parent as well . . . be it in small ways or large.

When I explained to my kids that with this Winter gift we would be essentially complimenting our parents in telling them what makes them so special and unique one of my very intuitive and bright students raised her hands and said, "Mrs. Wilcox - I think this is a very good idea because mommy thinks she is just terrible."  If you know this child, you know that she is raised very well.  I literally had to quickly make a statement to agree with her on the importance of what they write to mom and dad in this activity and move on because I was tearing up.  To imagine . . . mommy thinks she is just terrible.  These gifts may be just a small gesture, but I pray that the words my kids wrote to mom and dad truly touch their hearts and put a smile on their faces because no mom or dad who loves their child should think they are "just terrible."

(Click here to go to the actual Winter Gift for Parents post.)

2 comments:

  1. You are staying up too late posting, but your post is so dear. I did the ol' pasta frame spray painted gold with my second graders in Oakland, CA. I think i'll try yours next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your post! That is so true about encouraging and building up the parents too! We celebrate each other TONS in Our School Family (come see my post "Way to Go") and we have talked about celebrating others at home. I've had parents tell me the difference that has made at home too!

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to come check me out! I have TONS of *freebies*! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...