I started the Math Mobile in my Math centers this week. I made my sample, printing it on pink cardstock for strength and durability. Here's how it turned out.
I had high hopes that with my careful instruction the students would be able to hole punch themselves (since I only have one hole puncher) and then string the cards. I knew there would be potential problems, that it would take some time, and that I would need to go back and assist some students.
I think my hopes were a little too high! =P
I don't think my students currently have the fine motor skills or experience to do as I hoped, so the mobiles weren't a huge success as a center. I fell back on Plan B. (A good teacher always has a Plan B!) We "hotdog" folded a large sheet of construction paper and glued our cards on instead. It works! Not as pretty or cute as a mobile, but it serves the purpose.
If you do the mobile, you may want to consider my errors and use an alternative. If you think of another cute way to make the mobile more manageable as a center, please leave feedback! I'd love to hear your creative ideas!
The next time I try the mobile, I think we will do it as a small group. One of my friends is doing it large group this week. I'm eager to hear how it turns out!