Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So what's this all about?

 Welcome to Plug-n-Plan!

Seeing as how this is a brand new blog, I thought it might be a good idea to explain why I started yet another teacher blog . . .

My name is Melissa and I've been teaching 1st grade for 9 years now in Gwinnett County, GA.  For years I put in endless hours in the classroom, coffee shops, and home working on lesson plans, grading papers, creating centers, drawing up worksheets, etc.  You know the drill.  Then 7 years into teaching I got married, and I kept up this same routine only this time I'd bring stuff home to work on while my husband studied or worked on stuff for church.  Now in my 9th year we've added a beautiful baby girl to the equation!

Life has definitely changed.

I'm still doing all I can, the best I can but I try to make it a point NOT to take stuff home unless there's a really big deadline.  (I've got to put my family before my professional life.  Priorities, right?)  So that means that I'm squeezing in as much as I can into every "spare" second of the day.  Not everything gets done, and a lot of things don't turn out as well as I would like.  It can be pretty exhausting.  You can relate, can't you?

Ready for a confession?  I haven't been fully satisfied with what I do at school.  I know that I can do better if I had more time.  I know this because I know what I used to do. Factor in a teacher's tendency towards control and perfectionism and you can imagine my frustration.

I know I'm not the only one out there who wishes they could make the creative centers they imagine in their heads, plan effective lessons, gather/develop practice sheets and assessments, AND still have a life outside the classroom.  This is why I've started the blog.  It's my goal to put together packages for specific skills that include all these things so that all you have to do is just "plug" the pieces into your own lesson plans and save yourself some time!

So in the spirit of saving time . . . let's start with a file folder game on TIME!

(Complete unit to follow shortly . . . check back soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...